Sunday, April 11, 2010

Monochrome Weekend: Pontiac

1949 Pontiac Chieftain, with Silver Streak straight-8 engine and Hydramatic transmission. Captured with a Nikon D90 and Lensbaby Composer. Postprocessing with Silver Efex Pro.

This was the family sedan when I was born in 1952, and I'm pretty sure I would have ridden home from the hospital in this car. When it stopped running, my dad pulled it back into the woods on our farm, where it still sits, along with the '55 Pontiac that took its place.

Here a link another photo showing both cars, and a poem I wrote about them.

More black and white photos at:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor old things. Do you have any pics of their good days?

Unknown said...

Aileni,

I have a few of this car, but I'm not sure about the '55. This link will take you to a picture of the '49 in its prime.

Dragonstar said...

Quite a sense of speed.

Sistertex said...

Hi Davic C.
Thanks so much for visiting my blog 'Spacial Peepol'. Oh yes Hoosers are also very Spacial! I was a Hooser (as was my mother and father) way before a Minnesotan! But then Spacialness is not limited by local! ;)

Thanks for the great comment! :)

Carver said...

I was born in 1957 but I remember similar cars. You did a great job photographing them.

Anonymous said...

Neat photo David. My best friend's dad drove one of those. My dad had a 49 Chevy. Your photo brings back the memories.

I always loved the 55 Pontiac. I build more that one model of that car when I was a kid and every one was lowered in the back and had a continental kit.

Thanks for stopping by and IDing the Grand Prix.