Monday, August 24, 2009

Monochrome Self-Portrait

I liked the image Double Lion that I posted earlier today so much that I thought I'd try to replicate the effect with a double exposed self-portrait. I did this one with the Nikon D90, which has a menu selection for multiple exposures on a single image. It requires slightly more effort than just not rolling the film forward in the Holga camera, but the digital technique offers immediate feedback vs. waiting to have a film processed. Don't get me wrong--I like the mystery and anticipation of the film technique, but sometimes it's good to have immediate results. I think a good 1950s-style sci-fi B movie could be built around this image. Somehow the plot would have to involve exposure to radiation from an atomic bomb blast, resulting in a misunderstood yet frightening double-faced, three-eyed madman.

I tried to find a meme where this photo might fit. Topping the list of Google search results for "self portrait photo meme" was Crazy Girl's butt photo meme, which involves mirror self portraits taken in the prone position with the derriere elevated. At least the photographer's face is in the mirror. I think I'll pass on that one. Then I found a Flickr group for more conventional self-portraits in mirrors. I've done a few of those, but the photo above doesn't fit the bill. I just held the camera at arm's length rather than use a mirror.

I didn't find a double exposure meme, but I did discover a blog post with some interesting examples of multiple exposures from the Life Magazine archives.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a neat image. I don't have that facility on my Pentax - - -

Dan Cory said...

Wow, that's awesome! You should do a double exposure self-portrait with your butt in the air. It could be the new craze....crazy double-butt man!!