Tuesday, June 16, 2009

12 Steps From Governor Sarah

Readers of a certain age may recognize in the title of this post the allusion to the movie, "Two Mules for Sister Sara" (1970), starring Clint Eastwood and Shirley MacLaine. Now the rest of you are in on the joke, whether you choose to be or not.

I need help. I admit it. I need to join Palinaholics Anonymous. I thought I could do it on my own. I thought I could ignore Alaska's governor, no matter how annoying she might be. I thought I could avoid responding to her, no matter how many non sequiturs she spewed forth. But I'm weak. I need a 12 step program.

I was doing pretty well through the recent feud between Gov. Palin and David Letterman. I didn't really care about Letterman's admittedly tasteless joke about Palin's daughter being knocked up by Alex Rodriguez during the seventh inning stretch of a New York Yankees game, and Palin's carefully staged outraged response. But then Letterman had to go and offer a possibly sincere apology, to which the governor responded.

In a statement to FOXNews.com early today, Sarah Palin said of David Letterman's apology, "Of course it's accepted on behalf of young women, like my daughters, who hope men who 'joke' about public displays of sexual exploitation of girls will soon evolve."

Huh? Young women are hoping men will soon evolve who joke about public displays of sexual exploitation of girls? Governor, is this the way, in your words, to progress our great nation?

The erudite evangelical went on to say, "Letterman certainly has the right to 'joke' about whatever he wants to, and thankfully we have the right to express our reaction. "

Fair enough. But then she had to drag the troops into it:

"This is all thanks to our U.S. Military women and men putting their lives on the line for us to secure America's Right to Free Speech - in this case, may that right be used to promote equality and respect."

Makes me want to stick a magnetic ribbon manufactured in China on my truck: "I Support More Troops Than You," Thanks to the military for fighting for the right of David Letterman to make lame jokes and the right of Mrs. Palin to mangle the English language. If God wanted us to speak proper English, he would have made us lose the Revolution.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahah.

I support more troops than you.

June said...

I have arriven ;-) here via Abe Lincoln's blogs.
I wanted you to know that, with your closing sentence, you have provided my email signature line for today and probably the next several days.

Unknown said...

June,
Thank you for progressing the cause. You are a great American.
D.C.