Monday, May 04, 2009

Feeding Time

Today after work, I swung by the red-tailed hawk's nest, and she happened to be feeding her chick. As far as I can tell, there is only one in the nest. I pulled off the highway, just past the sign which reads "No parking. No stopping or standing." As the traffic whizzed by, I lowered the window of the truck halfway, tossed my homemade beanbag (a gallon zip-loc bag full of bird seed) over the edge of the window, rested the telephoto lens on the bag, and fired away.

This is the best of the photos I got. It won't win any contests, but you can clearly see the chick being fed, especially if you click to enlarge the image.

This pic was taken from across the highway. By the time I went to the next exit and turned around to try to get a picture from the same side as the tree, Mom had flown off to get dessert.

4 comments:

Zhoen said...

Ingenious, and illegal. Cool.

Anonymous said...

That is quite a treat David...

Unknown said...

Thanks, Zhoen and Michelle.

I'm reminded of a verse to Woody Guthrie's "This Land is Your Land"--one they don't teach in school:
As I went walking
I saw a sign there
And on the sign it
Said No Trespassing
But on the other side
It didn't say nothing
This land is made for you and me.

I parked on the side of the sign that didn't say nothing.

Anonymous said...

You do know that the hawks only eat meat so next time you will have to throw a rabbit or a member of Congress over the fence...